Right here’s a reminder that zucchini 100% belongs in your baked items. In case you haven’t tried it but, it’s time to get out of your consolation zone as a result of these muffins are MIND-BLOWING and filled with chocolate love with zero zucchini style.
I like when greens can style like chocolate, don’t you?
I made these straightforward, completely scrumptious wholesome chocolate zucchini muffins all the way in which again in 2014 (OMG I do know) and each summer time once I make them they’re simply as wonderful as the primary time. They’re completely fluffy, moist because of the zucchini, and full of chocolate taste because of wealthy cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
These beauties are actually a MUST MAKE throughout the remainder of the summer time with your whole further zucchini. Take pleasure in them for breakfast, as a simple snack, or as a wholesome deal with, and don’t neglect to share with the kiddos!
FREE Zucchini Recipe E-Ebook
Enroll beneath and get a FREE downloadable, printable e-book with my finest zucchini recipes (candy and savory!)
Elements in these chocolate zucchini muffins
You’d assume that the common zucchini bread or muffin can be wholesome, however most recipes name for greater than a cup of sugar and at the very least a 1/2 cup of oil. Wholesome fat are completely great however I’d slightly put them on high of my muffin (like an enormous scoop of peanut butter). So I assumed I’d strive my finest to make wholesome chocolate zucchini muffins with nutritious, good-for-you substances, but nonetheless preserve them tasting wonderful and moist. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Zucchini: after all, this veggie provides the proper quantity of moisture to the muffins. Shred it up, squeeze it of all extra moisture with a paper towel, then use it on this recipe.
- Banana or applesauce: as a substitute of a number of further oil, we’re including mashed banana or applesauce to maintain the muffins moist and add pure sweetness. I choose utilizing mashed ripe banana, however applesauce will even work effectively.
- Sweetener: I like utilizing all pure sweeteners in baking and honey or pure maple syrup will work on this recipe.
- Coconut oil: you’ll simply want a little bit of coconut oil so as to add moisture to the muffins.
- Almond milk: scrumptious and dairy free. I’m cool with that. Be at liberty to make use of any milk you’d like.
- Egg: you’ll want one egg to assist the muffins bake up correctly.
- Complete wheat pastry flour: in all probability the perfect wheat flour on the market. You may’t even inform these muffins are whole-grain.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: cocoa powder is my favourite solution to enhance chocolate taste in recipes. I like utilizing this model. If you would like a extra nutritious different, you may strive cacao powder (I take advantage of it on a regular basis!)
- Chocolate chips: be at liberty to make use of common or mini chocolate chips, dairy free if desired.
Can I make them vegan or gluten free?
- To make vegan: I feel a flax egg will work effectively rather than the common egg in these muffins! Get my suggestions & methods for making a flax egg right here. Keep in mind to then use your favourite vegan chocolate chips.
- To make gluten free: merely use an all objective gluten free flour or oat flour. Learn to make your individual oat flour right here!
The right way to make wholesome chocolate zucchini muffins
- Prep your pan. Preheat your oven, line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners and generously spray the within of the liners with nonstick cooking spray.
- Squeeze out your zucchini. Squeeze shredded zucchini of extra water with a paper towel. That is vital, so don’t neglect!
- Whisk the dry substances. In a medium bowl, whisk collectively flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make the batter. Within the bowl of an electrical mixer, add coconut oil, honey/maple syrup, vanilla, and egg, and blend on medium-low till easy and effectively mixed. Add in zucchini, banana (or applesauce) and almond milk; combine once more. Slowly add in dry substances and blend till simply mixed. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake & take pleasure in! Evenly divide batter into the liners and bake them up till a toothpick comes out clear. Cool after which devour!
Suggestions for making wholesome chocolate zucchini muffins
- Squeeze out ALL of the additional moisture out of your zucchini. This may make sure that they bake up effectively and aren’t too moist.
- Use an additional ripe banana for the proper quantity of sweetness. The extra brown spots the higher!
- Watch out to not overmix the batter. Combine the flour into your moist substances till it’s simply mixed. In case you overmix the batter your muffins might prove dense and nearly rubbery, which we don’t need.
Freezer-friendly chocolate zucchini muffins
These wholesome chocolate zucchini muffins are freezer-friendly! Wrap muffins individually in freezer-safe luggage or retailer them in a big freezer bag. Once you’re able to take pleasure in them, reheat for 30-45 seconds within the microwave or just thaw them at room temperature.
These chocolate zucchini muffins can be good for breakfast, a day deal with, and even dessert. You may even bake these as bars or as a bread, however after all you’ll want to regulate baking instances. Dollop these with an enormous tablespoon of peanut butter and put together to fall in love!
Extra zucchini recipes you’ll love
Get all of my zucchini recipes right here!
I hope you’re keen on these wholesome chocolate zucchini muffins! In case you make them I’d love so that you can depart a remark and ranking letting me understand how you favored them. Take pleasure in xo!
Wholesome Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Wholesome chocolate zucchini muffins made with complete wheat flour and no butter or refined sugars (in addition to chocolate chips). They’re naturally sweetened with banana and honey or maple syrup for an insanely scrumptious, completely moist double chocolate zucchini muffin!
complete wheat pastry flour or white complete wheat flour
unsweetened cocoa powder
coconut oil, melted and cooled (or sub olive oil)
honey, agave nectar or pure maple syrup
shredded zucchini (from about 1 medium zucchini)
ripe mashed banana (or you need to use 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce)
unsweetened vanilla almond milk
common or mini chocolate chips, dairy free if desired
Preheat oven to 350 levels F. Line 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners and generously spray within liners with nonstick cooking spray.
Squeeze shredded zucchini of extra water with a paper towel. That is vital, so don’t neglect!
In a medium bowl, whisk collectively flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; put aside.
Within the bowl of an electrical mixer, add coconut oil, honey/maple syrup, vanilla, egg; combine on medium-low till easy and effectively mixed. Add in zucchini, banana (or applesauce) and almondmilk; combine once more. Slowly add in dry substances and blend till simply mixed. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
Evenly divide batter into ready liners. Bake 22-25 minutes or till toothpick inserted into center comes out clear. After 5 minutes, take away muffins and switch to wire rack to complete cooling. Take pleasure in!
To maintain muffins dairy free: use dairy free chocolate chips.
To make gluten free: use gluten free all objective flour or gluten free oat flour.
I like including just a few further chocolate chips (2-3) on high of every muffin earlier than baking to make them look fairly, but it surely’s as much as you.
Servings: 12 muffins
Serving measurement: 1 muffin
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Images by: Eat Love Eats
This submit was initially revealed on July 14th, 2014, republished on June fifteenth, 2020, and republished on August twenty fourth, 2022.