This scrumptious smoked turkey breast is flavorful, tender, and has the right crispy pores and skin after smoking. We love this recipe for a smaller Thanksgiving or a smaller group of individuals. The leftovers make nice turkey salad and turkey sandwiches, too.
Scrumptious Smoked Turkey Breast
If you don’t want fairly as a lot turkey as a complete turkey presents, go for a turkey breast! This bone-in smoked turkey breast recipe presents flavorful and tender turkey each time.
This turkey breast is brined, rubbed with a scrumptious dry rub, and spritzed with an orange juice and apple cider vinegar spritz in the course of the smoke time.
Why you’ll like it!
The reason why you’ll like it.
Utilizing a turkey breast is usually simpler than cooking with a complete turkey. A turkey breast suits into a big bucket, your fridge, and your smoker a lot simpler than a complete hen.
This smoked turkey breast presents scrumptious leftover smoked turkey.
It’s a simple recipe to make and contain the entire household.
- Turkey– this recipe requires a 4-6 pound bone-in turkey breast. Ensure you discover a turkey that’s untreated. Some turkeys come pre-brined and we don’t need that. This turkey ought to feed between 6-8 folks if you’re serving it with sides.
- Brine Elements- you will bine your hen on this smoked turkey brine which consists of water, salt, rosemary, thyme, peppercorns, garlic, and onions. If you need extra info on the smoked turkey brine, take a look at this submit.
- Turkey seasoning– don’t skip this seasoning, it provides a lot taste to this recipe. This turkey seasoning is probably the most flavorful seasoning that compliments turkey and different poultry so effectively. It’s a mixture of candy + savory. Please please make it!
- Orange juice- orange juice is a part of the spritz that you’ll spray the turkey with. Somewhat sugar will hold the hen moist and hold the pores and skin crispy.
- Apple cider vinegar- the apple cider vinegar can also be part of the spritz. It cuts the sugar and provides the spritz a pleasant stability.
Brine the turkey
We extremely recommend brining the turkey earlier than you smoke it. Put together the brining liquid and submerge the turkey breast within the brine after it has cooled off. You don’t want to place your turkey in a heat brine.
Place the brining turkey within the fridge and brine the turkey in a single day.
Put together the turkey after brining
Take away the turkey from the brine and punctiliously rinse the turkey below chilly water. Pat the turkey fully dry earlier than including the dry rub. Season the turkey with the turkey dry rub. Therapeutic massage the dry rub into the turkey together with your palms and add the white onion into the cavity of the turkey breast.
That is additionally the time so as to add the orange juice and apple cider vinegar to a sprig bottle to spritz the turkey in the course of the cook dinner time.
If you happen to don’t have a spritz bottle you possibly can add the orange juice and apple cider vinegar to a bowl, combine, and use a pastry brush to whip the combination over the turkey.
Smoke the turkey
Preheat the smoker to 240ºF after which place the turkey breast on the smoker for two 1/2-3 hours or till the interior temperature of the turkey reaches 165ºF.
Let the turkey relaxation earlier than smoking
Take away the turkey breast from the smoker and let it relaxation for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than slicing.
What’s the Finest Smoker?
Let’s speak people who smoke. When you’ve got a smoker that you just love, you possibly can skip this part. We’ve got smoked many various meats on many various people who smoke. Automated pellet grills or people who smoke, guide people who smoke, and even common grills.
Our favourite smoker is the Traeger electrical smoker as a result of (like a gradual cooker) there may be minimal work required when you set the Traeger. This smoker makes use of pellets moderately than wooden chips and it robotically feeds the smoker to regulate the temperature
That’s proper, no one has so as to add wooden chips or wooden pellets themselves to maintain the temperature up.
Try all of our favourite smoker merchandise, together with what smoker we use within the Match Foodie kitchen for testing recipes!
Turkey breast will be laborious to search out exterior of the vacation season. You’ll be able to normally discover bone-in turkey breast at your native butcher or within the frozen part of specialty grocery shops.
We recommend getting ready the entire recipe of the turkey seasoning and storing it in a chilly and darkish place.
Some people who smoke have set temperatures so anyplace between 230-250ºF will work for this recipe. The timing simply could change relying on what temperature you should utilize.
You should use a boneless turkey breast, however make sure to monitor the interior temperature of the turkey breast intently so it doesn’t overcook.
Sure, you should utilize a gasoline grill or charcoal grill as a smoker. It does take a bit extra work. All it’s a must to do is purchase one among these wooden chip smoker packing containers after which add wooden chips all through the smoking course of to take care of the right temperature.
You should use no matter pellet you want to! We used the unique Traeger pellets for this recipe. You should use hickory, cherry, or every other pellet taste you’d like.
We swear by moist brining our turkey breast earlier than smoking as a result of it not solely provides a ton of taste but additionally helps the turkey retain moisture in the course of the smoking course of.
We advocate brining your turkey for a minimum of 12 hours or in a single day. So, you are able to do this the night time earlier than in order that it’s prepared for smoking within the morning!
Retailer your turkey leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 7 days.
Can I Freeze Smoked Turkey?
Sure, you possibly can freeze leftover turkey for soups, salads, or every other recipes. Let the turkey cool fully after which place it in a freezer secure bag and freeze it for as much as 3 months.
Ditch the store-bought turkey seasoning and use probably the most Flavorful Turkey Seasoning made with 9 elements you possibly can truly pronounce. This seasoning is made up of garlic powder, brown sugar, kosher salt, and different easy seasonings.
Smoked Turkey Breast
This smoked turkey breast is brined, dry rubbed, and smoked with a scrumptious orange juice and apple cider vinegar spritz. It makes a terrific Thanksgiving most important dish or a simple smoking recipe any time of yr.
Prepare dinner:3 hours
- 4-6 lbs. bone-in turkey breast fully thawed
- 12 cups water
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 5 sprigs contemporary thyme
- 5 sprigs contemporary rosemary
- 1 medium white onion chopped and separated
- 2 tablespoons turkey seasoning
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Take away the packaging from the turkey breast and discard any additional turkey elements that got here with the turkey. Set the turkey apart.
Make the turkey breast brine. Add 12 cups of chilly water to a big 5 gallon bucket or pot. Take away 2 cups of water from the bucket and add it to a small saucepan. Add the salt to the water and whisk.
Carry the water to a boil over excessive warmth and permit the combination to boil till the salt has dissolved fully.
Add the salt water to the bucket and stir to mix. Add the thyme, rosemary, and half of the white onion to the bucket of water. Place the turkey breast within the bucket of water. Ensure the turkey breast is submerged in water. Refrigerate the turkey in a single day to brine.
The subsequent morning, preheat the smoker to 240ºF* and take away the turkey from the brine and rinse it below chilly water. Pat the turkey dry with paper towels.
Season the turkey breast with the turkey seasoning on either side. Therapeutic massage the turkey seasoning into the turkey. Add the opposite half of the chopped white onion into the cavity of the turkey. Put aside.
Add orange juice and apple cider vinegar into a sprig bottle. Shake to mix.
Place the turkey on the smoker and smoke the turkey breast for two ½ – 3 hours, spritzing the turkey breast with orange juice each 30-45 minutes.
Take away the turkey breast from the smoker when the interior temperature reaches 165ºF. Let the turkey breast relaxation for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than slicing.
Suggestions & Notes
- Turkey breast will be laborious to search out exterior of the vacation season. You’ll be able to normally discover bone-in turkey breast at your native butcher or within the frozen part of specialty grocery shops.
- We recommend getting ready the entire recipe of the turkey seasoning and storing it in a chilly and darkish place.
- Some people who smoke have set temperatures so anyplace between 230-250ºF will work for this recipe. The timing simply could change relying on what temperature you should utilize.
- You should use a boneless turkey breast, however make sure to monitor the interior temperature of the turkey breast intently so it doesn’t overcook.
- We used Traeger Signature mix smoking pellets.
Energy: 431kcal Carbohydrates: 9g Protein: 65g Fats: 16g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g
Pictures: pictures taken on this submit are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.