August 31, 2022, is Worldwide Overdose Consciousness Day, and we pause to honor those that have died from an overdose and to mirror on the grief of these they left behind. Many proceed to reside with the stigma related to having an in depth household or pal die from an overdose.
Overdose is the main reason for loss of life for folks ages 18 to 45 in America at the moment. Greater than 100,000 folks died of an overdose in america within the 12-month interval ending in March 2022. 1 Many people know one of many 100,000, a few of us know multiple, and a few of us might know dozens. Amongst this group are our youngsters, siblings, mother and father, grandparents, cousins, non-blood kin, and buddies. For a lot of, the observance on August 31 is perhaps the primary and solely time to share their grief with out stigma. Worldwide Overdose Consciousness Day brings consideration to points surrounding substance use issues (SUDs) and overdose deaths and permits folks to grieve as they select with out worry of stigmatization.
An evaluation of overdose deaths from 2019 to 2020 discovered that:2
- Drug overdose deaths elevated about 30 % in america from 2019 to 2020.
- The COVID-19 pandemic and disruption in entry to prevention, remedy, hurt discount and restoration providers possible contributed to this improve.
- Latest will increase have been largely pushed by illicitly manufactured fentanyl and altered types of fentanyl.
- Counties with larger earnings inequality (a big earnings hole between wealthy and poor) had greater charges of overdose deaths.
- Overdose charges elevated by 44 % for black folks and 39 % for American Indian and Alaska Natives.
- Most individuals who died from an overdose had no proof of substance use remedy earlier than their deaths.
- Proof of earlier documented remedy was decrease amongst folks from racial and ethnic minority teams, in contrast with white folks.
The U.S. Division of Well being and Human Companies and the Substance Abuse and Psychological Well being Companies Administration (SAMHSA) advance main prevention, hurt discount, evidence-based remedy, restoration assist packages and insurance policies, and supply coaching and technical help consistent with the HHS Overdose Prevention Technique. Particularly, SAMHSA:
- Promotes main prevention efforts by supporting states and communities in creating complete prevention packages to educate the general public in regards to the risks of sharing drugs; elevate consciousness amongst pharmaceutical and medical communities on the dangers of overprescribing; and implement overdose loss of life prevention methods, corresponding to naloxone distribution.
- Helps the work of hurt reductionists, who’ve prevented overdose fatalities by community-based overdose prevention packages because the mid-Nineteen Nineties. This work considers the foremost elements influencing overdose danger, like psychological well being, trauma, and social determinants of well being.
- Printed an Opioid Overdose Prevention Toolkit that gives:
- Security recommendation for sufferers and households.
- Info for prescribers.
- Important steps for first responders.
- Assets for these recovering from opioid overdose.
- Helps peer employees, who know firsthand of the advanced challenges dealing with folks with psychological well being and SUDs.
SAMHSA’s work on overdose consciousness is much from over. Our dedication stays robust in assist of public schooling and engagement on overdose consciousness and prevention.
On Worldwide Overdose Consciousness Day, let’s take the time to recollect those we’ve misplaced, and the family members left behind, and to acknowledge the folks on the bottom who’re doing the essential work to assist forestall extra overdose fatalities.
It’s a time to recollect. It’s a time to behave.
1Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention, Nationwide Heart for Well being Statistics. Nationwide Important Statistics System, Provisional Drug Overdose Dying Counts. Ahmad FB, Cisewski JA, Rossen LM, Sutton P. Provisional drug overdose loss of life counts. Nationwide Heart for Well being Statistics. 2022. Accessed at https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/drug-overdose-data.htm on Aug. 19, 2022
2Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention. Kariisa M, Davis NL, Kumar S, et al. Important Indicators: Drug Overdose Deaths, by Chosen Sociodemographic and Social Determinants of Well being Traits — 25 States and the District of Columbia, 2019–2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2022;71:940–947. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm7129e2. Accessed at www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/overdose-death-disparities/index.html on Aug. 12, 2022