Have a good time summer season with this home made ice cream cake! It contains a chocolate cake base topped with three colourful layers of ice cream.
It’s the beginning of a protracted summer season weekend – what higher method to have fun than with a home made ice cream cake?!
Till I began making this ice cream cake recipe, each slice of ice cream cake I’d ever eaten was the identical. I’m positive you recognize the sort. It has layers of chocolate and vanilla ice cream, cookie crumbles, and scorching fudge, with swooshes of whipped cream frosting adorning the surface. I’ll admit that the mixture is scrumptious, however once I began engaged on this ice cream cake recipe, I needed to do one thing completely different. I liked the thought of an ice cream cake that was extra colourful and extra whimsical – one which captured the essence of summer season.
To me, this ice cream cake recipe does simply that. I really like its vibrant stripes and the number of flavors: some tart, some candy, some salty, nutty, or chocolatey. It’s made with store-bought ice cream, so it’s very easy to place collectively, and it’s cool, creamy, and refreshing. I can’t consider a greater deal with for a scorching summer season day.
Learn how to Make Ice Cream Cake
This ice cream cake has 4 layers: a raspberry layer, a salted caramel layer, a pistachio layer, and a chocolate cake base. You’ll find the whole recipe with measurements under, however for now, right here’s a fast overview of the way you’ll make it:
First, bake the chocolate cake. Bake a half recipe of this vegan chocolate cake in a 9×5-inch loaf pan. When the cake is cool, run a knife round its edges and invert the pan to launch the cake. Wash and dry the pan and line it with parchment paper. Place the cake again within the backside of the pan. Freeze for 3 hours.
Subsequent, add the primary ice cream layer. Permit the pistachio gelato to melt at room temperature till it turns into spreadable, checking its texture each couple of minutes. It needs to be comfortable and creamy. Pour the pint right into a mixing bowl and stir till it has an excellent consistency. Pour it over the frozen cake, and use a spatula to unfold it into an excellent layer. Freeze for 4 hours.
When the pistachio layer is frozen, add the caramel layer. Similar to with the pistachio gelato, permit the salted caramel ice cream to melt at room temp. Switch it to a bowl and stir till it has an excellent, creamy consistency. Then, pour the softened ice cream over the pistachio layer. Freeze for an additional 4 hours.
Lastly, add the raspberry layer. Easy the highest with a spatula…
…after which beautify it with recent raspberries.
Freeze the whole cake in a single day. It’ll be able to slice and serve the subsequent day!
Ice Cream Cake Recipe Ideas
- Take away the chocolate cake layer from the pan after baking. Regardless that you bake the chocolate cake layer and assemble the ice cream cake in the identical pan, it’s good to take away the chocolate cake layer from the pan after you bake it. Why? It’s a lot simpler to get the chocolate cake layer out of the pan by itself, earlier than it’s hooked up to 3 layers of ice cream. Eradicating it from the pan provides you an opportunity to scrub and dry the pan and correctly line it with parchment paper, which is able to show you how to take away the whole cake from the pan (in a single piece!) in a while.
- For even stripes, slice off the highest of the chocolate cake. This step is completely optionally available, however it makes for a super-cute ice cream cake. The chocolate cake has a barely domed prime after it bakes. If you would like your ice cream cake to have even stripes once you slice it, use a serrated knife to stage the highest of the chocolate cake earlier than you freeze it.
- Freeze every layer individually earlier than including the subsequent. The hardest a part of making this recipe is ready for every particular person layer to freeze. It is likely to be tempting to chop this time brief, however belief me – you don’t need to! It ensures that you simply get very nice, clear layers within the cake. After you add the ultimate layer, place the whole cake within the freezer, and freeze in a single day earlier than slicing and serving.
- Make it your personal. I really like the flavour mixture on this recipe, however in case you like, be happy to alter it up! Swap in your favourite ice cream flavors, or experiment with toppings apart from raspberries, like chocolate chips or shredded coconut.
Extra Favourite Summer season Desserts
In case you love this recipe, attempt considered one of these summer season treats subsequent:
Ice Cream Cake
What’s higher than cake and ice cream? This home made ice cream cake! It combines each scrumptious desserts in a single, that includes a yummy chocolate cake base and three scrumptious layers of ice cream.
- ½ recipe Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 1 pint Pistachio Gelato*
- 1 pint Salted Caramel Ice Cream*
- 1 pint Raspberry Sorbet*
- 6 ounces recent raspberries
Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9×5” loaf pan.
Put together the cake batter based on the instructions on this put up. Pour the batter into the ready pan and bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted comes out clear. Let cool fully. Run a knife across the edges of the pan and flip the pan over (bang it onto your work floor) to take away the cake from the pan. If desired, use a pointy serrated knife to slice off the domed a part of the cake to create a flat floor for the subsequent layer. Wash and dry the loaf pan, calmly grease it, and line the underside and sides with parchment paper. Place the cake again into the pan. Freeze for a minimum of 3 hours.
When prepared so as to add the primary ice cream layer, permit the pint of ice cream to melt, then scoop right into a bowl and stir till it’s evenly spreadable. Pour the softened ice cream onto the cake and use a spatula to easy it. Freeze for 4 hours. Repeat with the remaining 2 ice cream layers, freezing 4 hours between every layer. Prime the ultimate layer with the raspberries and freeze in a single day.
When able to serve, let the cake sit at room temperature for five minutes, then flip it over and bang it out onto a big baking sheet. Use a second baking sheet to flip the cake proper aspect up. Slice and serve immediately or freeze.
*These are the ice lotions we used: Talenti Pistachio Gelato, 365 Model Salted Caramel, and Talenti Raspberry Sorbet.