Friday (July 29) is the final day to touch upon a key part within the improvement of the extraordinarily vital Seattle Transportation Plan. Feedback on the scope of the plan will assist information the environmental overview course of. We’d like to verify this plan is as daring as attainable to set the stage for main investments in strolling, biking, transit and security.
That is totally different than the plan’s survey and remark map, which is able to settle for submissions by way of the top of August.
For those who haven’t commented but on the environmental research scope but, Seattle Neighborhood Greenways has created a helpful type you need to use to assist their record of 5 ideas. Their pattern letter:
Earlier than shifting ahead with SEPA evaluation for the Seattle Transportation Plan, please revise the proposed options within the following means:
- Delete Different 2 which might be a failure of our vital local weather targets. Seattle should be a frontrunner on a simply transition to a sustainable future, and failing to take action by 2044 shouldn’t be studied as an choice.
- Add a daring Different 4. We’d like a brand new various that makes daring progress within the subsequent decade, slightly than ready for 2044. We’d like another that quickly makes strolling, biking, and transit essentially the most handy, secure, and cozy methods to get round Seattle. Let’s plan for an accessible metropolis for all the place sidewalks and crosswalks are ubiquitous. Let’s plan for a motorcycle pleasant metropolis the place each avenue is secure to bike on. Let’s plan for a metropolis the place frequent transit is prioritized over the motion of vehicles. Let’s plan for a metropolis the place our streets are acknowledged as public area for play, neighborhood constructing, bushes, gardens, cafes, and a lot extra! In brief, let’s plan for a future that’s extra sustainable, equitable, secure, reasonably priced, wholesome, accessible, and thriving.
- Plan for an reasonably priced 15 Minute Metropolis. Please revise the options to plan for a metropolis the place everybody has an reasonably priced residence, and the place every day wants are inside a brief stroll or roll. These methods should be developed in live performance with the land use plan to be efficient and equitable.
- Enhance the “themes” used to judge the options. Please enhance the common design theme away from app options and in direction of the wants of non-drivers and folks with disabilities. Please add public area, kid-friendly, elderly-friendly, and noise air pollution as new themes to higher assist perceive the outcomes that totally different options would create.
- Scale back the over-emphasis on car electrification: The draft options envision a big function for the Metropolis of Seattle in selling non-public electrical automobiles. SDOT ought to as an alternative deal with what it has essentially the most management over: prioritizing investments and avenue area in order that strolling, biking, and transit are essentially the most handy, secure, and cozy methods to get round.